Online Communications Manager, Artscape
Position Type: Full Time, Salaried
Location: Toronto – Liberty Village
Start Date: April 2011
Artscape is currently seeking a qualified individual as Online Communications Manager, to lead the planning, coordination, delivery, monitoring and evaluation of Artscape’s online and digital communications. Artscape currently manages two online properties: www.torontoartscape.on.ca and www.artscapeeventservices.ca, a presence on Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and Youtube social media channels and ongoing email communications to its stakeholders. In the coming year, Artscape is set to expand its online properties to include websites for the Regent Park Arts & Cultural Centre, Artscape Shaw Street Centre and an online Knowledge Exchange portal.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Online Communications Manager will be a key member of a dynamic four-person Communications Department and will work collaboratively with other departments within the organization.
- Leads the development of strategies, plans and tactics as they relate to Artscape’s web and social media properties
- Provides creative and digital content support for multiple online properties with differing stakeholder markets, creates and executes marketing collateral, including online ads, email campaigns
- Interacts directly with various departments to ensure online needs have been articulated
- Manages the flow of updates to all Artscape online properties and social media channels, cross-pollinating content across online properties where required, repurposes content for multiple communications channels
- Manages and develops institutional guidelines for social media content, engagement and participation, ensures brand consistency and integrity, acts as a spokesperson in social media channels
- Monitors performance using online analytics tools and identifies emerging trends and best practices
- Manages relationships with technical consultants to provide solutions for content challenges and opportunities
- Ongoing development and maintenance of plain-language style guide
- Monitor communications operating procedures and demonstrate initiative in making recommendations for improvement
- Develops work plans and budgets, implementing actions and monitoring results, including ensuring projects are completed on time and on budget
- Coordinates content and technical requirements for digital displays at Artscape facilities
- Supports additional editorial management, planning, writing and copyediting of marketing and communications materials as required
- Supports event planning activities as required
- Supports multimedia library organization and maintenance
- Essential: Fully confident in the use of Microsoft Office Professional and CS5 applications, with an understanding of and ability to work in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Photoshop, Illustrator, webbased CMS (Drupal, Joomla or other) and/or HTML, social media tools (Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Youtube),
- Desirable: Ability in database management and best practices (Raiser’s Edge or other), InDesign, Flash, Dreamweaver, film editing (Premiere or other)
Education: Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, liberal arts or the equivalent mix of education and experience
Language: Fluent in English (written and spoken). Other languages would be considered an
- A minimum of five years experience and confidence working in online and print communications and marketing
- Strategic planner, compelling copywriter and master content planner
- Demonstrated experience in project management and coordination
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Has knowledge about, and passion for, the intersection of culture, community building, economic development and urban regeneration
- Demonstrated experience in web-based content and design principles, web writing styles, web implementation tools
- Familiarity with multimedia storage, organization and handling of large volumes of files, asset libraries and copy decks
- Familiarity with email marketing concepts and systems, online conference and webinars, digital video editing, advancing mobile technologies
- Creative Commons knowledge
- A generalist and fast learner – always keen to expand their skills and knowledge
- Proven excellent written, graphic and oral communication skills
- Highly organized and posses capacity for critical thinking
- Focused on results – a sense of urgency, self motivated, and a disciplined doer
- A confident and personable communicator
- A multi-tasker – able to juggle multiple priorities
- Our work environment demands a commitment to quality, ability to meet tight deadlines, and a willingness to work in an open-concept, team-oriented atmosphere
Deadline for Applications: March 23, 2011 at 12:00 noon
Please respond with a cover letter outlining the skills, qualifications and experience you would bring to the position as well as your salary expectations; and a resume.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail, courier or email only and should be forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources, Online Communications Manager Submission
Suite 224, 171 East Liberty Street
Toronto, ON M6K 3P6
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
Artscape is a not-for-profit organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Artscape projects provide affordable space for creativity while generating positive cultural, economic, social and environmental impacts. Since its inception in 1986, Artscape has transformed a portfolio of underutilized buildings across Toronto into dynamic community assets that serve to enable innovation and creativity, including the award-winning Artscape Wychwood Barns and multi-tenant arts facilities in the Queen Street West, Liberty Village, Toronto Island and Distillery Historic District neighbourhoods. Collectively, Artscape manages 10 buildings for 863 artist and cultural worker tenants and owners in 417,000 square feet of space.
Artscape is currently developing Artscape Shaw Street Centre, a 75,000 square foot creative convergence centre for artists and arts, community and social mission organizations in the West Queen West neighbourhood, and Regent Park Arts & Cultural Centre, a 60,000 square foot newbuild project located in the heart of the Regent Park community revitalization project. While Artscape’s development work is focused in Toronto, it shares its expertise with communities across Canada and internationally through its Knowledge Exchange program. Artscape’s Knowledge Exchange Program delivers tools, expands thinking and inspires action in communities large and small through a suite of continuing and new programs, including: Mentorship and Coaching Program, Research and Development, Online Tools and Resources,
Spacemaking and Placemaking Workshops, Creative Places + Spaces Conference Series.
For more information on Artscape, visit www.torontoartscape.on.ca